Jam for cam

Himalayan Pool Party performs at Jam for Cam outside the Sigma Alpha Epsilon house in downtown Athens, Ga. on Nov. 9, 2018. The UGA chapter of Sigma Nu organized the cancer research fundraiser in memory of Sigma Nu member, Cameron Fearon. (Photo/Sarah Mitravich)

As a member of the Sigma Nu chapter at the University of Georgia, Cameron Fearon wanted to host a battle of the bands to raise funds for a good cause. But in August, Fearon died of metastatic melanoma, a form of skin cancer.

On Nov. 9, Sigma Nu honored his memory and fulfilled his dream by hosting the “Jam for Cam” benefit at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon lawn.

“[Cameron] and Colin Beecham … had talked about doing this as just a fundraiser and picking the right cause to do it,” Cameron’s mother Lisa Fearon said. “He never dreamt that he would be the cause.”

His fraternity brothers created “Jam for Cam” both as a memento for Fearon and as a way to raise money for his youth summer camp Camp Carolina, the American Cancer Society and the Melanoma Research Foundation.

Despite the cold and rainy weather, the atmosphere was warm as guests greeted others with hugs and smiles. The battle of the bands began without any formal introductions as soon as 7 p.m. came around, lasting until 11 p.m.

The local bands that participated were Himalayan Pool Party, Underground Springhouse, Jester and AFTM. The crowd jammed out to a range of their original music, along with some covers such as “Kung Fu Fighting.”

Before the event opened its doors, the fraternity sold more than 5,400 wristbands.

Carson Seramur, a member of Sigma Nu, knew Fearon since high school through basketball and was in the same pledge class.

“Cameron knew too many people and was friends with a lot of people,” Seramur said.

Seramur attributes the event becoming a reality to fellow brothers Matthew Brown and Colin Beecham.

Beecham, close friend of Fearon, spearheaded “Jam for Cam.” Their original goal was to raise $20,000. Their “gross funds” before the night started was exactly $50,377.70 as a result of tickets and their fundraiser on GoFundMe — an amount higher than they expected.

He expects more than $40,000 will be donated to the camp and charities.

Lisa Fearon celebrated her son’s inspiration to the community with both old and new friends.

“I am just, not only humbled, but in awe,” Lisa Fearon said. “[This group is] incredibly supportive and accepting of each other.” She described both Greek Life and UGA as family and hopes this event will serve to help those who are struggling even if it is not visible like the skin cancer Cameron had.

Although the event lasted one night, his mother said “Jam for Cam” will continue in the future featuring different benefactors each year while supporting Camp Carolina and maintaining the same name.