The Arch

Governor Brian Kemp has appointed longtime University of Georgia economics professor Jeffrey H. Dorfman as State Fiscal Economist. 

The George W. Strickland, Jr. Foundation awarded $400,000 to the University of Georgia to establish the Georgia Commitment Scholarship Program, a need-based scholarship program available to first year undergraduate students.

Starting in the fall, the Strickland scholarships will prioritize students from Evans, Tattnall, Bryan, Bulloch, Candler, Liberty, Toombs, Emanuel, Jenkins, Screven, Burke, Appling, Wayne, Glynn, Long and Effingham.

In 1948, Strickland founded the Evans Concrete Products Company, which grew to serve the 16 rural counties. After his death in 2010 and his wife’s death in 2016, his namesake charity was founded to carry on Strickland’s desire to help his community.

In addition to the scholarship and tailored programming provided by the Division of Academic Enhancement, the selected students have the opportunity to participate in the newly established ALL Georgia Program, which offers special programs and opportunities for all rural students.

“We are appreciative of the George W. Strickland, Jr. Foundation’s commitment to our rural Georgian students and know that the lives of these students and their families will be positively impacted for generations to come,” UGA vice president for development and alumni relations Kelly Kerner said.

Through the GCSP, the UGA Foundation will match each of the four $100,000 scholarships to help students earn a UGA degree.