Speakers from Texas A&M University came to the University of Georgia Wednesday night, hosted by Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., to speak to students about graduate school opportunities.

Edward Tarlton, a doctoral student at A&M and a graduate assistant for the Association of Former Students, spoke about the key elements to a successful graduate school application, starting with getting involved.

"Make the most of what UGA has to offer you,” he said. “Get in something. When you show up, take a leadership position. It's yours.”

In addition to telling students they have to show up and give their best, the self-proclaimed “academic pimp” spoke on the importance of making connections and embracing your inner nerd.

“If you are at a Division 1 university you are a nerd,” he said. “You are not the coolest person at your high school — that person didn't get accepted. You're training to be professional. Start now."

Chris Reed, the director of MBA recruitment and admissions at A&M, opened the event with a speech on behalf of the MBA and other graduate programs at A&M.

“Credentials and confidence together are what I think are the most important when It comes to what is your degree worth,” he said. “Finding people jobs is one of the things we are absolutely the best at."

Tarlton, a UGA graduate and a Kappa Alpha Psi brother from 1983, said he contacted the fraternity about coming to speak and the brothers agreed to host him and Reed.

Fakari Gresham, a junior sociology major from Athens and a lieutenant strategist for the Zeta Iota chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi, said Wednesday’s “What is your degree worth?” event is part of an education series Kappa Alpha Psi is doing in connection with it’s Guide Right initiative philanthropy.

He said he enjoyed the event and said it was a success.

“It was very informative,” he said. “I think the panelists did a good job connecting with the crowd as far as relating to them and throwing out different opportunities.”

Taran Stringer, a senior pre-nursing psychology major from Roswell, said she came to the event to “show some Greek unity” and support the Kappa brothers.

The Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., member said she wasn’t expecting to get anything out of the event but was pleasantly surprised.

“Clearly I’m not a business major,” she said. “These guys are what I got from it — not only the networking. They seem like really good guys not only for the business program, but in general. Coming to events like these are vital.”

Reed said he feels the event was “absolutely” a success.

“[It was a] great group. They seemed to be really interested,” he said. “There were good questions afterwards so I feel like it was really valuable.”