Even though 2018 feels like just a few days ago, there are some things that happened over the year that you may have already forgotten. As 2019 gets underway, we take a look back at the major events at the University of Georgia in 2018.

From the election of a new Student Government Association administration to the rise and fall of a grilled cheese empire, here's a month-by-month breakdown of 2018's top events on campus.

January

180307_JEB_CreswellHall_0001.jpg

Creswell Hall is a student dormitory located at the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Jason Born)

The start of 2018 marked the beginning of the 100th anniversary of coeducation at the University of Georgia. Mary Creswell, who Creswell Hall gets its namesake from, was the first woman to attend UGA in 1918, and she studied home economics in the College of Agriculture.

February

180215_emh_charlaynehuntergault_0018.JPG

Charlayne Hunter-Gault speaks at the Holmes-Hunter Lecture in The Chapel in Athens, Georgia on Thursday, February 15, 2018. The Chapel was full with people attending the lecture to hear Hunter-Gault, one of the first African American students to enroll at The University of Georgia, speak. (Photo/Emily Haney, emilyhaney.com)

Charlayne Hunter-Gault, the first African American woman to earn a degree from UGA, visited campus on Feb. 15 to give a lecture titled “Giving Voice to the Voiceless.” Hunter-Gault discussed race relations, civil rights and education.

March

180328_CLS_SGA_Results_01.jpg

The Believe ticket wins the UGA SGA election in Tate Plaza in Athens, Georgia, on March 28, 2018. (Photo/Chamberlain Smith, chamberlainlockett.com)

A record of 8,006 UGA students turned out to vote for the 2018-2019 UGA Student Government Association administration. The Believe ticket — with Ammishaddai Grand-Jean as president, Charlene Marsh as vice president and Destin Mizelle as treasurer — won with more than 4,000 votes on March 28.

April

Foley Akanmu

Foley Akanmu is known for walking around campus holding handmade signs raising awareness of rape on campus.

UGA student Foley Akanmu led a sexual assault awareness project called Save Our Queens in honor of Sexual Assault Awareness Month in April. The Save Our Queens project included a panel, open mic night and peace walk to raise awareness of sexual violence, specifically at UGA.

May

Lady Ant

Lady Antebellum members Charles Kelley, left, and Dave Haywood, right, perform at the University of Georgia Commencement on Friday, May 4, 2018, in Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Christina R. Matacotta, crmatacotta@gmail.com)

On May 4, 5,834 graduates passed through the Arch officially becoming UGA alumni. UGA alumni Charles Kelley and Dave Haywood from the country music trio Lady Antebellum were last years undergraduate commencement speakers.

June

jimmy williamson

Police chief Jimmy Williamson will be retiring from the University of Georgia on June 30. 

UGA police chief Jimmy Williamson retired on June 30 after 30 years of service on campus. Under Williamson’s tenure, UGAPD created a bomb squad and introduced K-9 and motorcycle units.

July

002_071718_CONSTRUCTION

The Business Learning Community is in its final stage of construction. Workers are finishing up the last two buildings of the six-building complex, closing off parts of the sidewalk to work on it. The entire project is slated to be finished in 2019.

While most UGA students were off campus for summer break, several construction projects were underway and wrapping up throughout the month of July. Russell Hall, Terry Business Learning Center and UGA Main Library were just a few of the buildings undergoing renovations.

August

180809_rmw_RussellHall_12.jpg

The brand new Market at Russell, a small convenience store located within the Russell Hall residence hall, on August 9, 2018 in Athens, Georgia. The Market is open Monday through Saturday until 2 a.m. and has snacks, drinks, a coffee bar and more available for students. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

Classes began Aug. 13, and the freshman dorm, Russell Hall, reopened after its renovations during the 2017-2018 school year. The building, which houses 1,000 first-year students, opened a convenience store called “Market at Russell.”

September

180912_rmw_fraternities_02.jpg

Erin Schilling pours a bottle of vodka out on the ground in Athens, Georgia on Sept. 12, 2018. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

The UGA Interfraternity Council created a ban prohibiting the distribution of hard liquor at fraternity events except when served by a licensed, third-party vendor. The ban was implemented on Sept. 1.

October

10222018crj_tedmetz_048.jpg

Ted Metz, libertarian candidate for the governor's race, leads a discussion about his stances on education, legalization of marijuana and abortion at the Zell B. Miller Learning Center in Athens, Georgia on Monday, Oct. 22, 2018. Metz is hosted by Young Americans for Liberty, a libertarian organization. (Photo/Caitlin Jett)

Libertarian gubernatorial candidate Ted Metz spoke during the Students for Ted Metz Rally at the Zell B. Miller Learning Center on Oct. 22. Metz spoke to the audience about the legalization of marijuana, his healthcare reform proposal and other points of his campaign for governor.

November

181116_GMA_BaldwinMemorial0005.jpg

A group of protestors enter the memorial dedication service being held in front of Baldwin Hall on Friday, Nov. 16, 2018, in Athens, Georgia. The memorial in front of Baldwin Hall is dedicated to those who were buried there, likely slaves, in the 1800s. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

The Baldwin Hall memorial dedication on Nov. 16 was interrupted by protestors calling for UGA to publicly acknowledge its prior ties to slavery. The protest was spurred by the unearthing of human remains three years prior, believed to have belonged to slaves. 

December

181113_CRM_grilledcheese_0019.jpg

Charlie Williams, an 18-year-old University of Georgia mechanical engineering student from Bowdon, Georgia, prepares grilled cheese sandwiches in his dorm room on Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2018 in Oglethorpe House in Athens, Georgia. Williams sells grilled cheese sandwiches, Nutella melts, quesadillas and Nutella crepes out of his dorm room, which he delivers to other students living in the residence hall. (Photo/Christina R. Matacotta, crmatacotta@gmail.com)

UGA freshman Charlie Williams became an underground celebrity to fellow Oglethorpe House residents by making and selling grilled cheese sandwiches. Upon University Housing’s discovery of William’s business on Dec. 6, it was shut down.