180205_VMH_ScienceLearningCenter_0024.jpg

The Science Learning Center at the University of Georgia. (Photo/Vira Halim, www.virahalim.wordpress.com)

Kelly M. Smith from the University of Kentucky’s College of Pharmacy has been announced as the new dean of the University of Georgia College of Pharmacy, effective Aug. 1.

Smith has spent most of her life focused on pharmacy research and educating others. Originally from Statesboro, Smith earned both a bachelor’s degree of science and a doctorate degree in pharmacy from the University of Georgia.

Smith began her lengthy career in pharmacy as an assistant professor at the University of Kentucky. From there, she became the director of residency program advancement where she launched the Pharmacy Residency Network, the first statewide collaboration in the nation to support pharmacy residency training.

Smith also served as the HealthCare’s Postgraduate Year One Pharmacy Residency Program director for ten years.

Most recently, Smith has served as the UK College of Pharmacy associate dean for academic and student affairs. In both 2015 and 2016, Smith served as interim dean, watching over research funding, College of Pharmacy self-study, and reaccreditation.

Smith focuses on research in pharmacy and studies student career development while participating in residency training. Smith represents the pharmacy community by serving as president-elect and vice-chair of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists.

As a well-known figure in the field of pharmacy, Smith has been a part of producing around 200 written information sources, ranging from books to journal articles. Her role not only includes writing, but serving on the editorial advisory board of a number of scholarly journals, including the Journal of the American Pharmacists Association.

Smith has won numerous awards in her field, including the Pharmacist of the Year from the Kentucky Society of Health-System Pharmacists and the Michael J. Lach Faculty Award for Innovative Teaching Practice from UK’s College of Pharmacy.

“To return home to work with such accomplished and passionate students, staff, faculty and alumni is a dream come true,” Smith said in a UGA press release. “There is no better time than now for the UGA College of Pharmacy to advance science and create pharmacy leaders who will elevate health care across Georgia, the nation and the world.”