180311_ERR_driftmier_0003.jpg

Outside view of the Driftmier School of Engineering at the University of Georgia on Sunday, March 11, 2018, in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Reynolds Rogers)

The American Society of Engineering Education’s (ASEE) national Diversity Recognition Program awarded the University of Georgia College of Engineering it’s highest accolade for the college’s effort in promoting diversity and inclusion.

UGA received the award due to its internal Diversity and Inclusion Plan and its Dean’s Task Force.

The Diversity and Inclusion Plan aims to build a diverse student and faculty body that is more representative of the public. The plan seeks to increase the number of underrepresented students choosing to pursue doctoral degrees and other advanced studies.

The Dean’s Task Force was established last year and is comprised of UGA students, faculty and staff. The task force studied and compared the college’s admissions, enrollment and faculty data to other regional and national institutions. Additionally, the task force strove to identify opportunities to enhance diversity in faculty and student recruitment.

“The UGA College of Engineering is honored to receive this significant recognition of our efforts to create an inclusive environment and to increase the accessibility of our programs to an increasingly diverse population,” UGA College of Engineering Dean Donald Leo said in a press release. “While there’s certainly work to be done, the college is committed to creating a diverse and welcoming environment for students, staff and faculty.”