casey cagle college republicans

Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle spoke at the Wednesday, Sept. 27 University of Georgia College Republicans meeting about his candidacy in the 2018 Georgia governor election. 

Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle addressed the University of Georgia College Republicans on Wednesday, Sept. 27 at 6:30 p.m.

Cagle shared a few of the reasons he is running for governor in the 2018 election.

“I hope [students] get a little bit more insight into his vision for the future of Georgia and they can use it to make a decision on who they decide to support in the race,” said Ben Grayson, chairman of UGA College Republicans.

Cagle began his talk about economic growth saying that it was one of the reasons he originally entered politics, joining the Georgia Senate at 28, the youngest state Senator in 1994.

Cagle described his vision to expand the movie industry in Georgia and to continue to growth the state’s manufacturing industry, calling his vision for the state’s economic future, “a new type of economy.”

Cagle’s plan to expand the economy in the state extends to the rural areas as well. The Lieutenant Governor said he believes that in order for the state’s economy to continue to move forward there must be broader Internet access, and he would extend broadband lines out to rural areas.

“I feel like he has a vision. He has a very clear plan and I like his ideas,” said Matt Swint, a sophomore political science major. 

Cagle also talked about his ideas about the Georgia educational system. He said his priority has always been making sure the educational system is geared toward what the Georgia economy will need in the future as well as including all students.

The address was followed by a question-and-answer session where students could address their concerns for the state.

One student asked Cagle’s views on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.

Cagle said that he did not believe President Trump’s decision to repeal the policy through executive order was constitutional, but he would be happy to find a way for people affected to become legal citizens.

“It didn’t seem like he was giving us political answers," Swint said. "It seemed like he was really giving us his exact views.”