190828_GMA_GreekLifeOffice

The Greek Life Office is located on the first floor of the Tate Student Center on the University of Georgia’s campus in Athens, Georgia. The university issued a statement on Aug. 26, 2019 announcing an investigation into the misappropriation of funds from student organizations and updated the statement on Aug. 27 to reveal that the “criminal activity” had been traced back to one now-deceased university employee. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

An investigation conducted by the University of Georgia into the misappropriation of funds held by student organizations revealed that “criminal activity and financial benefit” were limited to a now-deceased employee, the university said on Aug. 27. UGA spokesperson Greg Trevor provided The Red & Black with an update to a statement sent Aug. 26.

Here is the full, updated statement:

We can confirm that an investigation revealed misappropriation of funds held by certain student organizations. The investigation confirmed that the criminal activity and financial benefit was limited to a single university employee, who is now deceased.

The University of Georgia has taken several decisive steps in response to this matter, including a prompt and thorough investigation in coordination with law enforcement, appropriate discipline of responsible supervisory employees in Greek Life, and revision of University guidelines governing employee access and control of outside accounts held by student organizations.

We are also reviewing additional policy changes and actively pursuing all options for recovery of the stolen funds for the affected student groups.

Trevor would not confirm the identity of the deceased employee.

In addition to referencing the now-deceased employee, the word “supervisory” was also added to the sentence referencing “appropriate discipline of responsible supervisory employees in Greek Life.”