190219_mmh_irami (3).JPG

Irami Osei-Frimpong is a teaching assistant and PhD student in philosophy. He gained national attention for his provocative tweets. (Photo/Maggie Holland)

The University Judiciary has found University of Georgia philosophy Ph.D. candidate Irami Osei-Frimpong not in violation of the Code of Conduct, according to the Formal Hearing Decision Form delivered to Osei-Frimpong on May 6.

On April 26, the Judiciary held a 6-hour-long hearing for charges brought upon Osei-Frimpong by UGA Office of Student Conduct Director Barrett Malone.

Malone alleged Osei-Frimpong provided false information on his graduate school application when he said “No” in response to the application question: “Have you ever been charged with or convicted of or pled guilty or nolo contendere to a crime other than a minor traffic offense?”

The panel said Osei-Frimpong’s 2011 arrest for curfew violation during an Occupy protest in Chicago did not constitute a criminal charge and thus found him not in violation of providing false information.

Osei-Frimpong was alleged to have completed his application dishonestly when he did not list Tufts University, Goethe Institute or the University of Chicago under “all institutions of higher education previously attended.”

During the hearing, Osei-Frimpong said he had audited classes at Tufts and Goethe. The panel said Osei-Frimpong’s involvement with Tufts and Goethe did not constitute “attendance” because of “a lack of evidence of completed coursework,” such as a transcript.

One of Osei-Frimpong’s letters of recommendation was from a colleague at the University of Chicago, and at the hearing, he admitted to attending the university between 2011 and 2013. Based on Osei-Frimpong’s acts, the panel said he did not intend to “deceive or hide his attendance at the University of Chicago.” The panel said the inclusion of “a reputable institution like the University of Chicago” would not have impacted Osei-Frimpong’s admission decision.

Osei-Frimpong was found not in violation of completing a university form dishonestly.

The panel acknowledged Osei-Frimpong’s allegations that the investigation was in retaliation for comments he made on social media but said it was not in the panel’s role to consider outside circumstances.

In his Final Investigative Report, Malone said the social media comments did not influence the decision to investigate Osei-Frimpong.

The university issued a statement regarding the case.

"The Office of Student Conduct adjudicated this case like any other, in compliance with all applicable policies and procedures. We respect the student conduct process and the outcome," the statement read.