181001_JEB_NorthCampusBuildingMugs_0010.jpg

The UGA School of Law is located on UGA's north campus. (Photo/Jason Born)

The University of Georgia School of Law named Amanda J. Shaw as the school’s first-start coordinator. Shaw will assist first-generation law students through their graduate careers starting this summer.

Shaw, who earned her law degree from UGA, will act as the designated point of contact for first-generation law students from their recruitment to post-graduation. Additionally, Shaw will create programs tailored for the students.

“I remember how overwhelmed I felt in law school, constantly striving to bridge a gap I couldn’t quite identify,” Shaw said in a UGA news release. This is why having a dedicated point person for first-generation students is so important, and I am committed to assisting our students be successful as they pursue their legal education at the School of Law.”

The first-start coordinator position comes on the heels of the Law School’s efforts to help first-generation law students. This Spring, the school created the First-Start Scholars Program after a $3 million gift from alumni.

“With roughly 10 to 15 percent of each entering class representing the first person in his or her family to attend college, having a support system in place for this cohort eases the anxieties some may have as they embark on their legal education,” UGA School of Law Dean Peter B. Rutledge said. “Not only will these students be attending one of the nation’s top law schools, but they will have a community of peers and mentors who truly have their backs as they prepare to become legal leaders in their communities.”