Jack Hu

Jack Hu is one of four finalists for the University of Georgia provost job. 

The University of Georgia announced Jack Hu, vice president of research at the University of Michigan, as the next senior vice president for academic affairs and provost Monday. Hu will start the job on July 1.

The provost is the second-highest administrator at UGA, overseeing everything from academics to Greek Life. The 17 deans of the university report to the provost.

“As the birthplace of public higher education in America, the University of Georgia has a tremendous reputation for its commitment to excellence in education, research and innovation, and public engagement,” Hu said in a statement released by UGA. “I look forward to working with the campus community to build upon the university’s momentum in these important areas.”

UGA narrowed the number of candidates down to four in January. All four finalists, including Hu, gave public addresses at the UGA Chapel in February. In his address, Hu said public universities should strive to improve community engagement by communicating about research work, sharing stories of student excellence, diversifying sources of support and ensuring efficiency, effectiveness and institutional sustainability.

“I believe Dr. Hu possesses the unique background and experience to continue elevating our national prominence in research, innovation and graduate education while building on our superior undergraduate learning environment,” President Jere Morehead said.

The former provost, Pamela Whitten, took over as president of Kennesaw State University in July. Libby Morris has served as interim provost since Whitten’s departure.