Student affairs directors

The new directors in Student Affairs departments are, from left, Rosa Githiora for Multicultural Services and Programs, Erin Benson for the Disability Resource Center and Yvette Leverett for University Testing Services.

The University of Georgia has named new directors in three different departments within Student Affairs, according to a UGA press release.

Dr. Rosa Githiora will serve as director of Multicultural Services and Programs, Erin Benson will serve as director of the Disability Resources Center and Yvette Leverett will serve as director of University Testing Services.

Githiora’s responsibilities will include supervising the advisement of 13 multicultural student organizations, coordinating cultural heritage celebrations, and directing the intersection, “a campus hub for student dialogue, community building and multicultural education,” the press release said.

With a background working in diversity-focused roles, Githiora has worked as director of Global Diversity and Inclusion for Stratus Group Consultants. She served as a Diaspora board member for the Center for Health Advocacy Network Gender and Education (CHANGE) in Nairobi, Kenya, and has also worked at Case Western Reserve University, the University of Toledo, and the University of Akron.

Benson will oversee UGA’s education of students with disabilities. She has worked for the Disability Resource Center since 2015, serving as senior coordinator and senior assistant director. Before that, she worked in Student Affairs at the University of North Georgia Oconee Campus, where she also worked with students with disabilities.

Leverett has worked in University Testing Services since 2008, serving as coordinator and associate director. With this promotion, Leverett will oversee testing and evaluation services for students and faculty. Before her work at UGA, Leverett served as program director for Boley Centers Inc. in St. Petersburg, Florida.

“A thriving campus community must be an inclusive, supportive community,” said Vice President for Student Affairs Victor K. Wilson. “These three leaders are uniquely qualified to design programs that will support, celebrate and inspire UGA’s students.”

Correction: Dr. Rosa Githiora's last name was misspelled in a previous version of this article. The Red & Black regrets this error and has since made the appropriate corrections.