entrepreneurial program

University of Georgia graduate students discuss their entrepreneurial projects during a Design Thinking Moonshot class at Broad Street Studio One in Athens last year. 

While the University of Georgia has offered an undergraduate certificate in entrepreneurship since 2016, it will now offer a certificate for graduate students this semester, according to a UGA press release.

The new certificate program, offered by Terry College of Business and open to all UGA graduate students, will be taught by five lecturers with entrepreneurial experience including Bob Pinckney, the program director.

According to the press release, the program will help students develop the skills necessary to launch and grow businesses and social enterprises.

To complete the certificate students must complete 12 credit hours with two entrepreneurship courses and two electives. Students’ options for the entrepreneurship courses include introduction to entrepreneurship, entrepreneurial finance and managing the entrepreneurial venture.

The graduate program was created due to the success of the undergraduate certificate, with which 80 students have graduated since its creation, the press release said, and the new program will continue the university’s mission of supporting economic growth.

“Economic development is central to the university’s mission, and a key component of our commitment to support economic growth is teaching and refining the entrepreneurial mindset in students who have that interest and ambition,” said Benjamin C. Ayers, dean of Terry College. “We’re very pleased to offer this university-wide certificate to graduate students who want to join the ranks of innovators and inventors whose ideas will propel growth in Georgia and beyond.”

The application for the fall semester opened Sept. 1 and must be submitted online by Oct.1. The spring semester application will open on Feb. 1 and is due by March 1. Students accepted into the program will be notified by email two weeks after the deadline.