microscope

The electron microscope (not pictured) will allow researchers to perform electron energy loss spectroscopy.

A University of Georgia physics and astronomy adjunct professor received the 2017 Director's Award for Exceptional Scientific and Engineering Achievements from the Savannah River National Laboratory.

Simona Hunyadi Murph received this award for helping to advance understanding about nanotechnologies as well as her application of nanoscience, according to the press release.

The organization affiliated with the award began as a U.S. nuclear deterrent and has expanded to help with waste cleanup and crime investigations. 

"SRNL provides intellectual leadership, innovative solutions, and research and technology necessary to address the nation's most complex nuclear materials processing and environmental challenges," according to its site.

More specifically, Murph is interested in nanoengineered materials, according to her biography page.

Murph has a Ph.D. in chemistry and nanotechnology from the University of South Carolina, a masters degree in chemistry and electrochemistry and a bachelor's degree in chemistry and physics. 

Throughout her career, Murph has received awards from SRNL, including the Exceptional Leadership Award in 2016 and the Key Contributor Award in 2015.

This year, Murph was also a finalist in the research leadership category for the U.S. Clean Energy Education & Empowerment awards. The award is designed to recognize mid-career women working to advance clean energy.

These awards are given in collaboration with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Energy Initiative, the Department of Energy and the Stanford Precourt Institute for Energy.