Domestic disturbance outside of MLC
A couple got into an altercation between the MLC and Tate Center at around midnight on March 3, according to a UGA police report.
One witness said she saw the female drop some of her personal items on the ground while the couple was walking towards the MLC. According to the report, another witness said that the male seemed agitated and angry, and he threw the female’s wallet into the bushes.
The male left the female and the primary witness approached her sitting on the ground outside of the MLC. The witness noticed that the female was limping and possibly had a black eye. According to the report, the female fell into the witnesses arms shaking and crying. The female told the witness that she and the male had been downtown. The witness said that the male was possibly intoxicated, but the female did not appear to be intoxicated.
According to the report, the male started to continuously call the female. He yelled at her when he heard the witnesses’ voices in the background. According to the report, the female began to distance herself from the witnesses, and she eventually walked away. After the female left, the male returned yelling and throwing his hands in the air. Once he got to Tate Plaza, he turned around.
Both witnesses said that no physical contact took place. Police searched the area for the female’s wallet in order to identify her but did not find anything.
Nearly $1,000 in tools stolen from Poultry Science building
An electrical services business owner believes one of his employees stole more than $900 in equipment from him sometime between Feb. 18 and Feb. 25, according to a UGA police report.
The owner contacted UGA police about the stolen items on Feb. 28. The items, which included multiple fiberglass ladders, a bandsaw and other tools, were stored in UGA Research Building L, according to the report.
The Poultry Research Center reported no signs of forced entry, according to the report, but the building was left unsecured. The total value of the stolen items is estimated to be $992.
Cigarette causes evacuation at Stegeman Coliseum
A cigarette butt tossed into a pile of leaves has proven to be the cause of a small fire which forced Stegeman Coliseum to be evacuated on March 3, according to a UGA police report.
After a Georgia women’s basketball game, the coliseum fire alarm system went off and there was a smell of smoke. The Coliseum was evacuated and UGA police officers found the source of the smoke: a pile of leaves on fire in a ventilation area outside Stegeman.
Officers put out the fire and ACC Fire and Emergency Services later found no evidence of fire damage in the Coliseum, according to the report.
The fire department cleaned out the leaves from the ventilation area and found a cigarette butt, which started the fire, according to a UGA fire marshal.
Officers observed discoloration on the ventilation area and on the nearby outside wall. The fire department declared Stegeman safe for re-entry.