UGA Police Dept sign

The University of Georgia Police Department is located inside the Hodgson Oil Refining Co. building on Oconee Street. 

Altercation in the Main Library

A pregnant female and her boyfriend were banned from the University of Georgia library as a result of an altercation on Jan. 24.

According to the report, the female was yelling she “wants to give up” at her social worker, which prompted her social worker to call the police.

Several employees at the main library said the unmarried couple have previously caused disturbances in the UGA Main Library that include having loud arguments, cursing loudly, and generally disturbing the patrons and employees.

After looking up the two individuals, the police found a Temporary Protective Order was issued against the woman by her boyfriend.

A TPO is a court order generally stipulating an abuser must stay away from an individual and their home and work.

UGA police initially thought that the TPO was issued by the female against her boyfriend as a result of dispatch between the UGPD and the Clarke County Sheriff’s office. The male was placed in handcuffs and escorted to a patrol vehicle, according to the report.

Shortly, the police officer found out that the TPO was actually filed by the male against his girlfriend. The police officer immediately removed the handcuffs and the male was no longer under arrest. According to the report, the male said he took out the TPO in 2018 as a result of harassing communications from his girlfriend.

Since UGA police could not properly clarify the TPO conditions, the couple was barred from the library for 90 days.

The female told the reporting University of Georgia officer she suffers from depression but does not take medication for her condition. According to the report, a social worker said that the woman also suffers from schizophrenia and attention deficit disorder which are also untreated.

The woman was voluntarily transported to the hospital to speak with a professional about her behavior and mental illnesses.

Unlawful surveillance by roommate

An individual living in university housing reported that her roommate unlawfully photographed and videotaped her in private while in the nude on Jan. 16, according to a UGA police report. Police were not notified of the situation by the victim until Jan. 25.

The victim first became aware of the pictures when her roommate sent them in a private Snapchat group without the victim’s consent.

According to the report, the victim’s roommate said on Jan. 24 that she was going to send the pictures to the Athletic Association “as a form of harassment.”

The victim said that her and her roommate had been having ongoing issues for the past couple weeks and that her roommate had been very “passive aggressive” towards her.

According to the report, UGAPD were dispatched to a “welfare check” between the roommates on Jan. 24.

The victim said her roommate is in the process of moving out.

Underage individual taken to hospital for overconsumption of alcohol

An individual was found unconscious and breathing shallowly at Russell Hall on Jan. 25, according to a UGA police report.

The individual was able to be roused to consciousness briefly, but she could not verbally answer a police officer’s questions. According to the report, the victim possessed droopy eyelids, blank stare and a lack of focus, as well as thick, slurred speech and an inability to identify her current location.

Once the police identified the female and confirmed she was under drinking age, National EMS transported the victim to Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center for treatment.

Medical amnesty, which exempts underage individuals from punishment if medical assistance is called to help in an emergency situation, was granted to the individual.