UGA Police Dept sign

The University of Georgia Police Department is located inside the Hodgson Oil Refining Co. building on Oconee Street. 

Fire alarm and evacuation at Busbee Hall

Smoking food caused a fire alarm at Busbee Hall, leading to the building being evacuated on June 24, according to a University of Georgia police report.

The alarm was triggered around 10 p.m. by a student and resident cooking food in the Busbee kitchen, according to the report. The student had left the room and forgotten about the food, she told police. There was no damage to the stove that was in use, and the residents were allowed to return inside the building.

Tools stolen from construction site

An estimated $885 worth of tools were stolen from a construction site at UGA’s Driftmier hall, according to a June 24 UGA police report. The tools belonged to Allstar Fire, and the complainant told police they were probably stolen between 4 p.m. on June 20 and 7 a.m. on June 24.

The room where the tools were had “a large opening with no door,” so the tools had not been secured, according to the report. Among the tools were a band saw, an impact drill, several batteries and a charger, two tape measures, two torpedo levels and a drill adapter. 

Fight on downtown street corner

UGA police officers responded to a fight downtown on June 25 because they were closer to the incident than Athens-Clarke County police, according to a UGA police report. 

The fight was reported around 2:50 a.m. on June 25, and reportedly took place on the corner of College Avenue and Clayton Street. The dispatch from ACCPD said one person was kicking another in the face.

The two individuals were not fighting when UGAPD arrived, but one person was lying on the ground near a trash can and “there was a large pool of blood near his face on the ground.” According to the report, the person was able to wake up and EMS arrived to provide medical care.