Studying

The University of Georgia’s retention rate has been continuing to grow since 2011, and this year was no exception.

UGA’s retention rate, which shows the percentage of freshmen who return for their sophomore year, is 96 percent, up one percent from last year.

This retention rate exceeds UGA’s aspiration and peer institutions averages as well as the Southeastern Conference average.

“There is no commitment more important at the University of Georgia than our commitment to student learning and success,” said UGA President Jere Morehead in the press release. “I want to congratulate our outstanding faculty, staff and students.”

The university continues to implement different learning techniques to keep this retention rate high, including the experiential learning initiative, increasing the amount of academic advisers and the Double Dawgs dual-degree program.

“The University of Georgia has differentiated itself as an institution that embraces bold and ambitious initiatives,” said Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost Pamela Whitten in the press release.

According to the press release, four-year and six-year graduation rates are also at a high with 66 percent of students graduating in four years and 85 percent of students graduating in six.