170703_JF_bathrooms_0007.jpg

Joe Brown Hall is the Department of Germanic & Slavic Studies at the University of Georgia. (Photo/Justin Fountain, justingf@uga.edu)

The Russian Domestic Undergraduate Flagship program at the University of Georgia received a scholarship worth $100,000 from the Institute of International Education and the National Security Education Program to fund study abroad operations.

The flagship program awards $5,000 to UGA students studying abroad over the summer and $15,000 for students studying year round at any program-approved, Russian-speaking country.

Eleven other scholarships, both internal and external, awarded another $50,000 to university students in the program including the Boren Scholarships and Project GO for ROTC students.

Flagship programs such as the The Language Flagship are designed to teach students one of ten critical languages for use in the professional environment while they pursue an unrelated major. These programs rely on domestic and study-abroad elements to optimize the learning experience.

UGA President Jere W. Morehead said in the UGA press release that he was pleased that students are taking the initiative to be apart of the program.

“I’m sure [they] will look back on this experience and be pleased with their decision to go in this direction,” Morehead said.

The program is currently working on creating a Russian language learning community for Flagship students. If created, the community would meet in the Mary Lyndon Hall, which will open during the 2020-2021 academic year.