Alumni-student mentor program

Briana Hayes, a health promotion major from the Class of 2021, visits with her mentor, Kim Metcalf, a UGA alumna and small-business owner from Watkinsville, Georgia. 

The University of Georgia will launch an alumni-student initiative, the UGA Mentor Program, on June 12 after the success of a pilot program that paired 115 students and alumni.

UGA President Jere W. Morehead formed a presidential task force to create the program at the recommendation of the Board of Visitors. Morehead said in a UGA news release that UGA alumni are eager to support and explore the career paths and life goals of students.

“Students are excited to connect with members of the Bulldog family who can provide inspiration and guidance,” Morehead said. “I am grateful that our alumni are willing to give back to UGA in this important way.”

Students and alumni commit one to two hours per month for 16 weeks. To become mentors, alumni create an online profile at mentor.uga.edu. The program's website then allows students to connect with alumni based on their major, interests and location.

Communication is first established on the programs website, which hosts a messaging platform that allows students and alumni to communicate while protecting their personal information. Once a mentorship relationship is established, students and alumni can communicate in person, via text message, email or phone.

To be eligible, students can create a profile on mentor.uga.edu and will be required to attend an orientation session. Student registration opens in August.