21616UGAvFlorida-14.jpg

Debbie Alfrod, president and CEO of the Georgia Lottery, left, and University of Gerogia president Jere W. Morehead, right, present a commemorative check for the HOPE scholarship during halftime of a regular season NCAA game versus Florida at Stegeman Coliseum on Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2016 in Athens, Ga. (Photo/Thomas Mills)

The University of Georgia collected $183.8 million in new gifts and commitments for the 2016 fiscal year, continuing a trend of record-setting fundraising amounts, according to a UGA press release. 

This amount makes the past fiscal year the third consecutive year that UGA has set a record in fundraising, the release said. 

This total represents a 28 percent increase from the 2015 fiscal year fundraising amount, $144.2 million, and a 57 percent increase from the 2013 fiscal year total when UGA's President Jere Morehead first took office, according to the release. 

Private fundraising donations are used to help fund scholarships, hire and maintain skilled faculty members, expand research and enhance the student experience, according to the release. Last year alone, private donations helped fund 6,100 scholarships for UGA students, the release said. 

“This major accomplishment speaks to the unyielding commitment of the UGA community to elevate our great university to new heights of excellence,” Morehead said in the release. “I am deeply appreciative of everyone who generously contributed their financial resources."

In November, UGA's eight-year comprehensive capital campaign will enter its public phase. The campaign goal is to raise at least $1 billion by 2020, according to the release. 

“Breaking an annual fundraising record is worth celebrating, but building an organization that is equipped for long-term success year-over-year is even more important,” said Kelly Kerner, vice president for the Division of Development and Alumni Relations, in the release. 

Fundraising totals tend to rise and fall throughout a campaign, Kerner said in the release. 

"Typically, the year before a public announcement is a very strong fundraising year," he said in the release. "But the real measure will be the eight-year trend line over the course of the entire campaign."

tami13

Americans are natural born fundraisers and this is a consequence of the fact that the government isn't always investing money in the right sectors or departments. being a part of a strong community can really solve a lot of problems and you can raise money for everything from a hands free magnetic mesh screen door to a medical treatment.