190119_ems_i20

William Whitaker, a 20-year-old University of Georgia student from Carrollton, was killed in a car accident just west of Atlanta on I-20 Thursday night. (Photo/Erin Schilling, eschilling@randb.com)

William Whitaker, a 20-year-old University of Georgia student from Carrollton, was killed in a car accident just west of Atlanta on I-20 Thursday night.

At 7:30 p.m., a truck traveling eastbound hit two other cars and a tractor trailer, sending debris from the crash into the westbound lanes of I-20, police told CBS46. The debris hit two cars, killing Whitaker, as identified by the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s Office. UGA confirmed Whitaker was a student. 

Whitaker, a junior exercise science and athletic training major, is survived by his parents, sister and grandparents, along with a number of extended relatives, according to an obituary on the Hightower Family Funeral Homes website.

The driver of the at-fault truck, Mario Polier from Hialeah, Florida, was charged with numerous misdemeanor charges, including second-degree homicide by vehicle, CBS46 reported.

Correction: In a previous version of this article, it was reported that Whittaker was a sophomore instead of a junior. This has since been corrected. The Red & Black regrets this error.