NSF recipient

The National Science Foundation fellows are anticipated to become experts who can contribute to research, teaching, and innovations in science and engineering. 

The National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships awarded seven University of Georgia graduate students and six UGA alumni the NSF national award that recognizes emerging scientists and engineers.

The winners will receive three years of financial support that includes $34,000 annual stipend, a $12,000 cost of education allowance, as well as networking and professional development opportunities.

“The NSF Graduate Research Fellowships recognize the best and the brightest,” Graduate School Dean Suzanne Barbour said in a news release. “That so many UGA graduate students have been and continue to be recipients of the NSF GRF is a testament to the outstanding training environment that our institution provides at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.”

GRFP helps maintain, develop and diversify the human resource base of science and engineering in the United States. The program recognizes and supports graduate students in NSF-supported science, technology, engineering, and mathematics who pursue research-based master's and doctoral degrees at United States institutions.

NSF fellows are anticipated to become experts who can contribute to research, teaching, and innovations in science and engineering, while maintaining and advancing the nation's technological infrastructure, national security and economic success.

Past fellows include several Nobel Prize winners, U.S. Secretary of Energy Steven Chu, Google founder Sergey Brin and “Freakonomics” co-author Steven Levitt.