20180823_CMB_Athens_005.jpg

University of Georgia students study and eat lunch in the Bulldog Cafe in Athens, Georgia on Thursday, August 23, 2018. (Photo/Caroline Barnes, caroline.barnes3710@gmail.com)

After months of assignments, tests and quizzes, it’s finally that time — finals season. For many students, this is one of the most stressful times of the year filled with sleepless nights, coffee and long hours spent at the Miller Learning Center and other study spots.

For freshmen, these first semester finals are the most challenging since they do not know what to expect. For returning students, finals have become a seasonal routine they have dealt with many times.

Kartik Khanna, a sophomore finance major, feels mostly prepared for his finals due to resources such as the Division of Academic Enhancement and review sessions.

Khanna said his go-to method for studying is to review his notes and previous tests and highlight concepts he still struggles with. He then likes to review the topics with his professor or with DAE tutors.

“My go-to place is the BLC because it has plenty of study places and a warm, inviting environment. However, when I really need peace and quiet, I head to the Law Library annex,” Khanna said.

Khanna wishes he knew the importance of balance when studying for finals as a freshman.

“Actions, such as working out, listening to music or just taking frequent study breaks can help reduce the stress associated with finals,” Khanna said.

Serena Aluko, a junior risk management and insurance major, likes to look over her notes and the teachers’ slides.

“Studying with a group is also really helpful. They add input and maybe some things you forgot,” Aluko said.

Aluko recommends to start studying as early as possible. She said she normally studies around two and a half hours a day for about a week and a half prior to the final.

Her favorite places to study on campus include Memorial Hall and Sanford Hall.

“Sometimes I try in MLC, but there’s so many people there sometimes that it can be distracting,” Aluko said.

Abhi Patel, a sophomore computer science major with a pre-med track, likes to plan out what he needs to get done and then make deadlines for himself. He then goes through his reading and notes to make a new sheet with all of the condensed information.

“Usually I stay away from groups for studying until I feel like I’ve gotten most of it done,” Patel said.

Patel enjoys studying in the Main Library, Amos Hall or in a coffee house. His favorite coffee houses in Athens are 1000 Faces Coffee, Franklin House Cafe and Hendershot’s Coffee.

Patel advises students to not get too overwhelmed with material.

“I know it adds up and sometimes feels like it’s too much. I would say to take a breather and plan out what needs to be done and when. Take breaks every now and then. Overall, stress enough to keep focused but stay relaxed enough to think and test clearly,” Patel said.

Carly Grundmann, a senior risk management and insurance major, said she has been so busy trying to finish all of her projects that she has yet to think about her finals. Her favorite place to study is her desk in her apartment.

“I’ve definitely found that typing a huge Google doc of all the lecture notes and printing them out is very helpful so then I can go in and highlight the most important things and write notes on the side,” Grundmann said. “It also really helps to talk out some of the material with a classmate so I make sure I know it.”

Grundmann said a method that has not helped her is reading all the Powerpoints over and over again, thinking it will help her remember. The advice she would give to students is to talk to professors or teaching assistants if they need help.

“I know I used to be too scared to go and ask questions, but they really do want to help you out,” Grundmann said.

Callye Ann Chastain, a sophomore communication and science disorders major, feels more prepared and feels her study skills have improved since freshman year.

Chastain said she likes to read the chapters in depth and compare them to her class notes. She then makes flashcards of the key terms and reviews them three to four times.

“Last year, I just didn’t really know exactly how to study. I would think I was studying and doing so much but really wasn’t processing anything,” Chastain said.

Chastain wishes she would have known freshman year to focus on the main points, instead of the small details, when trying to study.

The Science Library, The Foundry and The Georgia Center have welcoming, cozy and quiet environments perfect for studying, Chastain said.

Her advice for freshmen is to not stress too much and to take breaks often.

“Don’t cram,” Chastain said. “Try to set goals each day of what you want to accomplish.”