The four University of Georgia students who appeared in a video where racial slurs were used have been expelled from the UGA chapter of the fraternity Tau Kappa Epsilon, according to a statement released by the national fraternity on March 23.

After the video surfaced on social media on March 22, the university, TKE Professional Staff and members of the UGA chapter began an investigation into the actions of the students in the video, where it was found that the video didn’t take place on chapter premises, according to the statement. The national chapter suspended the fraternity on March 22.

According to the statement, the investigation found the four students acted outside of the expectations of chapter membership and were subsequently removed on March 23.

"Tau Kappa Epsilon is disgusted, appalled and angered by the remarks shown in a video of four expelled members,” the statement read. “TKE will not tolerate any actions such as these that would be defined as racist, discriminatory and/or offensive."

The identity of the fraternity involved was not initially identified at the time of the suspension. It was revealed that the fraternity was the Xi-Lambda chapter of TKE in a letter sent to the chapter by the national TKE organization on March 23.

The university has not announced any disciplinary action for the students at this time. In response to the video, UGA released a statement Friday saying “Whenever we receive complaints of racist or discriminatory conduct, we refer such matters to our Equal Opportunity Office in accordance with applicable laws and policies.”

In an email sent out Saturday night, UGA President Jere W. Morehead expressed "how profoundly disappointed and appalled" he is by the content of the video.

"The incident does not reflect the culture of unity and inclusion which we support on our campus," Morehead said.