Tragedy signage

The UGA chapter of Theta Chi is suspended until Jan. 1, 2020. The chapter can re-register with the Greek Life Office on Jan. 2, 2020, but it will be on probation until 2021. (Photo/Casey Sykes, www.caseysykes.com)

The University of Georgia chapter of Theta Chi has been suspended for four violations, including hazing, until Jan. 1, 2020, according to an informal resolution agreement obtained by The Red & Black.

The Delta Beta chapter president Joe McGee signed the resolution agreement admitting to the violations and acknowledging the suspension on March 8, which immediately set the suspension in motion. McGee took full responsibility for the fraternity’s actions, per the agreement he signed.

Neither McGee nor the fraternity’s press secretary responded to a request for comment.

According to an Informal Resolution Agreement issued by UGA Office of Student Conduct, the chapter violated four university conduct regulations, including "participating in, condoning, encouraging, requiring, or allowing opportunity for hazing" and "conduct that threatens or endangers the health or safety of another person.”

The chapter allegedly conducted itself in a manner that intentionally "infringe[d] upon the rights, privacy, or privileges" of others.

Under the terms of suspension, the chapter must cease all business, social and new member activities and is no longer authorized to function as an entity on or off campus. Individuals can still live at the now-suspended fraternity house on South Milledge Avenue, but the fraternity’s letters "and other forms of identification" must be removed.

The chapter also must adhere to any sanctions or requirements outlined by the national organization and alumni probation committee. Failure to do so may result in additional conduct charges, according to the resolution.

The factual circumstances underlying the violations were redacted from the resolution. Although reports of physical injury weren’t reported to the Office of Student Conduct, the chapter “endangered the health and safety of prospective members,” disrupted their academic pursuits and encouraged conduct violating university conduct regulations, according to the resolution.

Per the terms of suspension, the chapter may take action to suspend or expel members identified in the membership review conducted by the national Theta Chi organization and alumni probation committee. The removal of these members must be provided to the Office of Student Conduct by May 1, 2019.

According to the resolution, the chapter is eligible to re-register with the UGA Greek Life Office on Jan. 2, 2020 and will thereafter operate under probation until July 31, 2021. Any further conduct violation during the probationary period can result in further suspension or expulsion.

Theta Chi was originally reported as being placed under interim suspension on March 8. The Red & Black will release updates on this issue as they are received.