181116_KN_fallarch_0005.jpg

The Arch at the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia on November 16, 2018 (Photo/Kyle Nadler Instagram: @kylenadler).

Full-time undergraduate students will see a 2.5% increase in tuition rates next fall, according to the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia’s newly-approved funding plan for the 2019-2020 academic year.

The increase amounts to $35 to $125 per semester for full-time, in-state undergraduate students at each of the 26 USG institutions. Online tuition costs, however, will drop by 33%, according to state officials.

Mandatory student fees will also increase between $4 to $50 per semester at 11 of the USG institutions, including the University of Georgia, Georgia Tech and Augusta University, according to USG’s fiscal plan for 2020. UGA’s fees will increase by $6 in the fall.

The increase in tuition and fees comes as a result of the USG’s ongoing efforts to “balance the critical needs of affordability and quality for students and families” and implement system-wide initiatives to “provide students with a high-quality education,” according to the USG press release.

Among some of the targeted initiatives include Momentum Year, a program designed to ensure on-time graduation rates and successful degree completion, and a systemwide financial literacy program designed to reduce student borrowing and provide students with information about their student loans.

According to the press release, the Board has held tuition increases to an average of 1.7% annually over the last five years, and USG’s tuition rates averaged 25% less than rates charged by institutions in other states.