210322_CJD_Police_03.jpg

On Monday March 22, 2021, a Univeristy of Georgia police car sits parked at University of Georgia police department in Athens, Georgia. (Photo; Conor Dillon / dillon.conor11@gmail.com)

On Monday, the University of Georgia Police Department arrested the suspect in an assault, sexual assault and robbery that occurred on UGA’s campus on Saturday, according to an ArchNews email.

UGAPD took Tritavious Malik Harris into custody and charged him with seven offenses, including aggravated battery, robbery, sexual battery and kidnapping, according to the email.

UGAPD thanked the Athens-Clarke County Police Department and Jefferson Police Department for their assistance in the investigation. While they are no longer looking for a suspect, UGAPD asks anyone with additional information on the incident to contact them at 706-542-2200.

The original story is below.

A woman was assaulted, robbed and sexually assaulted on the University of Georgia campus near Fulton Street and the North Campus parking deck early Saturday morning, according to an email from the university.

Security camera footage revealed an unknown man physically assaulted the woman, took her cell phone and groped her outside of her clothing around 2:23 a.m., according to the email. The man fled as two other uninvolved men walked into the area.

A UGAPD officer found the woman unconscious about 10 minutes later, and called EMS to render aid.

Anyone who may have been in the area or has information about the incident is asked to contact UGAPD at 706-542-2200.

UGAPD urges everyone to follow personal safety strategies while on campus, including traveling in groups, remaining aware of surroundings and traveling in well-lit areas.

Jake Drukman is The Red & Black's News Editor, and has worked for the paper since 2019. He is a senior Journalism major with a minor in Criminal Justice. He especially enjoys covering local politics and crime.