190409_jca_SGA_07.jpg

A shot of the Student Government Association logo sign at the 2019 SGA Inauguration on Apr. 9, 2019 at the University of Georgia Chapel in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

All University of Georgia students can vote in the runoff between Unite and Forward starting 8 a.m. Thursday. Voting ends Friday, Feb. 28, at noon, and results will be announced at 5 p.m. that day at Tate Plaza.

A total of 10,221 votes were cast for the three executive tickets in the general election, marking the highest voter turnout in SGA’s history, said Ethan Pender, SGA attorney general. The total number of ballots is about 3,600 more than last year’s election.

Unite garnered 45.5% with 4,652 votes, while Forward received 37.1% with 3,796 votes in the University of Georgia Student Government Association general election.

To access the digital ballot, you can sign in to the Involvement Network with your UGA MyID and password and scroll down to the election banner on the homepage. You can vote for either Unite or Forward on this page.

Asim Ahmed, Cheryl Kwapong and Carson Kuck are running under the Unite ticket. They hope to provide accountability, sustainability and visibility if elected.

Dyer Whitehurst, Grace Green and Kristen Dunning are running as Forward, the only executive ticket with no prior SGA experience. Forward plans to focus on promoting inclusivity and diversity if elected.

Briana Hayes, Matthew McDaniel and Hannah Payne ran as the Beyond ticket, which did not make the runoff election. Beyond finished the general election with 1,773 votes, at 17.4%, and will not move on to the runoff. As stated in the SGA Elections Code, a runoff election occurs when no ticket receives an absolute majority of votes. In that case, the top two vote-getting tickets move to the runoff.

If you’re a student in the School of Public and International Affairs, you can vote for Sam Bryant or Anjali Patel, who are heading to a runoff for their school’s senate seat.

The following article was published on Feb. 25. 

All University of Georgia students can vote in the 2020 Student Government Association elections until the online ballot closes at noon Wednesday.

To access the digital ballot, you can sign in to the Involvement Network with your UGA MyID and password and scroll down to the election banner on the homepage. You can vote for one of three executive tickets and a number of senators.

The three executive tickets are Beyond, Unite and Forward. Briana Hayes, Matthew McDaniel and Hannah Payne are running as the Beyond ticket. The three candidates want to create, uplift and engage with the UGA and Athens communities if elected.

The digital ballot allows you to vote for at-large senators and campus-life senators and then a senator specific to your school or college.

The results will be announced at Tate Plaza on Feb. 26 at 5 p.m. if no runoff election is required. A runoff will occur if no ticket achieves an absolute majority in the general election. The two tickets with the most votes would advance in that case.

SGA is made up of three branches: executive, legislative and judicial. The organization, comprised of 237 members this year, according to SGA executive director of communications Maggie Cavalenes, attempts to represent all students and serve as a connection between students and the UGA administration.