181001_jca_jacksonstbuilding_08.jpg

The east overlook of the Jackson Street Building in profile on October 1, 2018. The back of the building is open to light, once giving it the nickname "the ice plant" due to the feeling it can give a person inside. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

The College of Environment and Design will host the 2019 LABash conference from April 4 to April 6. University of Georgia landscape architecture students will attend workshops and listen to speakers in their field.

Registration for the conference will begin at noon on April 4 in the Jackson Street Building. The opening ceremony will be held in the UGA Chapel at 5 p.m. where Shawn Kelly, the president of the American Society of Landscape Architects, is expected to speak.

The student-run conference is held on the campus for a different landscape architecture school every year.

“We place a bid in 2017 to hold the 2019 LABash,” said Stuart Harriott, the executive director of LABash. “Last year it was at Penn State … Next year it’ll be at Cornell.”

Many activities are planned for the second day of the conference. There will a breakfast from 8:45-9:45 a.m. in the main hall of the Jackson Street Building, followed by lectures about landscape architecture and workshops on both Lumion 3D rendering software and graphics.

Kona Gray, a UGA alumna and principal at EDSA Landscape Architects, will give the first keynote lecture of the day. After another series of lectures, workshops and tours on the UGA campus, Barbara Deutsch, the CEO of the Landscape Architecture Foundation, will provide the second keynote lecture.

“Our expo is currently 40 tables strong. That’s the most any LABash has ever had,” Harriott said.

The last day of LABash will consist of a workshop and a series of lectures and tours from 10 a.m.-12:45 p.m. and from 3-5:30 p.m.

In the Grand Ballroom of the Classic Center, Thomas Woltz, the principal at Nelson Byrd Woltz landscape architects, will deliver the third keynote lecture of the conference

The closing ceremony will begin at 8:15 p.m. in the Georgia Theatre and will feature a surprise guest.

“It’s really great to have the students be able to have their eyes open to all these people who care about landscape architects and how landscape architects really feel about the industry,” Harriott said.