Alan Flurry

Along with winning an award for his documentary “ARCO in Venice,” Alan Flurry works with WUGA-TV with his interview series “Unscripted with Alan Flurry.”

The Georgia Association of Broadcasters’ Honors Night Program on June 7 recognized the work of WUGA-FM, and WUGA-TV won awards for “excellence in broadcasting,” according to a UGA Today news article.

One documentary, “ARCO in Venice,” honored WUGA-TV with the merit award, but this could not have happened without the work of the film's producer and director, Alan Flurry.

Winning the award for his documentary “ARCO in Venice,” Flurry said this was his first “hour-long documentary” and his first award for any form of media he has produced or directed.

“I’ve been making a few short pieces…over the past few years, particularly for the school of music and school of art,” Flurry said. “I’ve got another 20-minute documentary coming up for the AthFest Film Festival, but this is the first award that any of them have received.”

He also said the experience of winning was a very “pleasant surprise.”

“There’s a ton of films out there, and it’s humbling and surprising to be awarded for anything you do and get recognition,” Flurry said. “They threw some numbers out at the ceremony, but it was a lot – you’re talking about all the locally produced non-sports and non-news programming.”

For the University of Georgia, Flurry said he acts mainly as the “director of communications” for the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences.

“I write a lot of press about research and awards that our students receive,” Flurry said. “I try to make press for the college, and part of that is to use multimedia to help with press. It shows the collegial nature of the University in general, but it also promotes Franklin College.”

Working as the producer, host and much more, Flurry has played a key role on the WUGA-TV series “Unscripted with Alan Flurry” since its debut in October 2012.

“It’s an interview show on which I interview distinguished guests of campus,” he said. “We try to get the people who are most interesting, and they are people who you might not get to see their speech. This is an opportunity to share that with the wider public. I play a very heavy role in that – everything from selecting guests to selecting locations and actually conducting the interview and helping put together the finishing product with the people at the station as well.”

Some past guests include former U.S. Rep. Bob Barr and actor Brian Reddy.

Flurry said, as a result of his interviews, he meets new people to connect with and makes friends along the way.

“For me personally, I enjoy being able to meet and talk with them – we hit it off and we keep in touch,” Flurry said. “So that’s kind of the payoff for me, being able to talk with some people who are advanced in their careers and goals and ambitions.”