bolton.jpg

Students eat inside Bolton Dining Hall in Athens, Georgia on Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

Jordan Herrell is one of more than 5,000 freshmen who are on the University of Georgia meal plan and eat regularly at the dining halls.

The freshman from College Park eats at the dining halls every day. She’s lactose intolerant and notices dining hall employees take proper precautions with students with allergies.

“The people at the serving stations are excellent about” switching out utensils and changing their gloves to avoid mixing allergens, Herrell said.

The dining halls and other UGA food facilities receive health inspections each year just like all other food establishments. One thing health inspectors look for is whether employees who handle food are wearing gloves.

UGA Dining Services doesn’t take this lightly.

“By building a culture of food safety, we believe that every person in our department knows that food safety is a critical part of our jobs and an important part of our decision making at all levels,” said Kris Ingmundson, safety coordinator for UGA Dining Services.

UGA Dining Services tries to ensure food safety by conducting mock health inspections, contracting with third parties to conduct food safety audits and offering food safety training to their employees.

How to read the health inspection sheet

Customers should look at the types of violations rather than the score itself, said Keli Hinson, Northeast environmental health district director. Little things add up, so depending on what you’re looking for in an establishment, just looking at the number may not cut it.

An establishment with a B score may have no critical violations, whereas an establishment with an A score may have a critical violation, which must be addressed immediately.

Critical violations are given out if a restaurant or eating establishment demonstrates a risk factor, which includes improper food-storing temperatures, contaminated equipment and poor personal hygiene.

Generally, an A means Food Safety Excellence; B, Satisfactory Compliance; C, Marginal Compliance; U, Unsatisfactory Compliance.

A failing health score is anything below a 70 and requires an immediate follow up inspection.

Note: These violations were found at the specific time of inspection and may have since been fixed. This is also not an extensive list of all UGA food establishments. For more details about the specific violations for each establishment and to find more scores, check them out here.