Georgia Museum of Art

Georgia Museum of art building.

Soul food introduces the first movie of a summer film series in conjunction with the Georgia Museum of Art's exhibit featuring John Baeder.

Red, orange, yellow, green and blue toothpicks speared quarters of flaky biscuits. Young children, university students, young professionals and senior citizens sampled each biscuit and checked the toothpick's color that they most enjoyed on ballots.

Before the film, Carissa DiCindio, GMOA curator of education, announced the colors and their corresponding restaurants: red for Five Star Day Cafe, blue for Peaches Fine Foods, green for Heirloom Cafe and Fresh Market, orange for Mama's Boy and yellow for Strickland's Restaurant.

Peaches' biscuits satiated the judges' palates, but the audience preferred Heirloom's biscuits.

"The Rise of the Southern Biscuit" provided an intimate biography of the biscuit, visiting several diners and restaurants in the American Southeast, interviewing many cooks and bakers and sifting through their various, popular ingredients.

Flour, lard and water created the most basic biscuit, but light cream, milk, butter, baking powder, salt, sugar or self-rising flour offered other tempting options to fancy up and flavor the baked edibles.

Laughter punctuated several moments throughout the film -- an eccentric baker emphasizes the importance of the right ingredients, temperature and ways to roll the dough, small children smear jam laden biscuits across their cheeks or one man justifies that biscuits are best complete with ham and red eye gravy.

Although the audience found humor in the candid documentary, the seriousness and enthusiasm of those interviewed on the biscuits' behalf portrayed biscuits as an enduring staple of Southern cuisine.

At the film's conclusion, its creators and staff appeared in the final credits, enjoying no other food but warm, fluffy biscuits.

Its audience erupted with applause.