Modest Mouse

Modest Mouse is a popular, long running act from early indie rock. The group is fronted by Isaac Brock.

No one likes feeling left behind. As the hoards of students depart for the beach for other exciting vacations over spring break, it’s sometimes hard to not feel like Athens has been totally deserted. Fortunately though, there are some fantastic ways to entertain yourself if you’re sticking around in the Classic City.

Modest Mouse

In what is probably the biggest scheduling bonus for anyone not leaving town this break, indie rock legends Modest Mouse will be playing at the Georgia Theater on Monday, March 9. Hailing from Issaquah, Washington, the band hasn’t visited Athens in over 10 years.

Now back with a new album coming out on March 17, only a week after the show, the music veterans will have a healthy mix of the old and the new to offer fans. Tickets are sold out, so they’ll have to be bought on resale but are probably worth the price due to the rarity of this performance. The show starts at 8 p.m.

DJ Nate From Wuxtry

DJ Nate, local musician and Wuxtry Records employee, will be putting on a special kind of DJ set on Tuesday, March 10. The Manhattan Café will be filled with the echoes of somber and depressing tunes, in a set made distinctly for “sad sacks." The performance will be interesting in the least, but maybe a little depressing for anyone not going through a tough breakup or an existential crisis.

However, entry for the show is free, so it's worth investigating what this peculiar set will sound like. DJ Nate comes on around 9 p.m.

AthCon

In the tradition of the many large-city Comic-Con festivals, Athens’ own AthCon brings together gaming, comics, movies and all things excitingly nerdy.

Locals come dressed up in costumes and prepared to witness exhibits and replicas from their favorite niche entertainment sources. The convention, which is at the Classic Center, is for a good cause as well, as all proceeds go to the Rose of Athens Theater’s arts education program. The festival will take place on Saturday, March 14 from 9 a.m. to 12 a.m. and on Sunday, March 15 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Tickets are between $8 and $25 as discounts depend on how good your costume is.

The Bannff Film Festival World Tour

The Bannff Film Festival takes place every year in the heart of the Canadian Rockies. The festival doesn’t insist that all movie fans travel all the way to Alberta though, as it goes on tour each year with a selection of the best films from the year’s selections. Coming to the Morton Theatre on Friday, March 6, the festival will be showing Athens a collection of exceptional action and adventure movies. The showings start at 7 p.m., and tickets are between $10 and $15.

What Moon Things

Although considerably smaller than Modest Mouse, What Moon Things is a band that will also be bringing some amazing indie tunes to Athens over spring break. The band hails from New York, so it has travelled a long way to deliver its melodic style of upbeat music to The Caledonia Lounge on Saturday, March 7.

Tickets to the concert are only $5 for ages 21 and up, and $7 for 18-20. The show starts at 9:30 p.m. with no opening acts.