Roadkill Ghost Choir

Roadkill Ghost Choir will play at Melting Point on Sunday, April 28 at 7 p.m.

This weekend, The Melting Point will host a jamming closing party for the Athens Americana Music Fest on April 2 at 7 p.m. — a perfect oasis for those terrified of the terrifying physical activity at the Twilight Criterium.

Headlining the night’s show is Joe Pug, a songwriter from Austin, Texas.

Pug began his pursuit of a career in music after the spontaneous decision to drop out of college the day before his senior year.

Since then, Pug has been recorded by renowned producers such as Brian Deck, who has worked with artists such as Modest Mouse and Iron & Wine.

Pug’s last studio album, “The Great Despiser,” features musicians such as Jim Becker, of Califone, and Sam Kassirer.

Playing before Joe Pug is the indie rock band from DeLand, Fla., Roadkill Ghost Choir.

And the band is excited to make a return to Athens.

“We played [in Athens] quite a bit,” said Andrew Shepard, lead singer of the band. “It’s awesome there.”

The group is comprised of brothers Andrew (vocals, guitar), Maxx Shepard (drums) and Zach Shepard (bass), along with Kiffy Meyers (pedal steel, banjo, guitar), Joey Davoli (keys, trumpet) and Stephen Garza (lead guitar).

Roadkill Ghost Choir formed in 2010 when Andrew began writing songs.

But Andrew was apprehensive to perform solo.

“I figured it would be really boring — I got my two brothers and Kiffy Meyers to help out,” Andrew said. “From there, it just kind of rolled on to the Roadkill Ghost Choir.”

Shepard said the band takes influence from performers such as Bob Dylan, Wilco and Radiohead.

Roadkill Ghost Choir only recently embarked on a tour out West and aspires to continue touring from coast to coast after its tour in May with Dead Confederate.

“Our goal is to build a fan base all over the place,” Andrew said. “Being able to go from town to town and play in front of people that really enjoy your music.”

JOE PUG with Roadkill Ghost Choir

When: April 28, 7 p.m.

Where: Melting Point

Price: $7/$10 day of show

This is a part of the Athens Americana Music Festival. Here is a full schedule of the festival's events.