Sam Hunt

Sam Hunt’s fame is quickly rising with the release of the Cedartown native's debut album, "Montevallo," on iTunes.

"Montevallo," is similar to most of the tracks produced by newcomers to the genre, veering away from traditional country. While some would argue that Hank Williams would be rolling over in his grave, it’s simply a sign of the times.

The fact of the matter is that most people migrate between genres of music, they don’t simply just listen to one genre and call it a day. The music an artist produces is a direct reflection of the music they listened to growing up.

With the invention of the internet, and music becoming readily available for reference, it’s hard to see how other genres can’t influence the work of an artist. Personally, I’m not a fan of the pop-country feel the album has, but the delivery of lyrics, combined with the perfect beat and tempo for each track made that easy to overlook.

Perhaps this is because I had heard Hunt’s mixtape of acoustic songs he released last summer. In my opinion, the acoustic versions of most of the tracks on this album far surpass their radio edits.

If you are looking for a more traditional-country sound from Hunt, I recommend checking out his acoustic mixtape, "Between the Pines." That being said, "Montevallo" isn’t bad in any sense of the word. If anything it reflects our generation, the millennials, perfectly.

The album speaks to our fervor for falling in love, our spontaneous tendencies and our, at times, narcissistic nature.

Whether it’s recounting the beginning stages of falling in love through ‘Take Your Time,’ getting wrapped up in the moment with someone in ‘Speakers’ or that moment you fall in love as in ‘Cop Car,’ Hunt captures exactly what it is like to fall in love in this day in age.

The delivery of lyrics with passion and style are part of what make these songs so successful in portraying their messages.

‘Leave the Night On,’ ‘House Party’ and ‘Raised on It’ all appeal to the free-spirited nature of millennials.

The up-beat tempo of all three songs add to the over feeling of freedom you get when listening to them. The stomps, claps and background calls of each song make it hard not to find yourself stamping your foot along to the beat or belting out the lyrics in the car.

‘Single for the Summer,’ ‘Ex to See’ and ‘Make You Miss Me’ deal with filed love. The feeling at the end of the school year that leads to parties and having fun, in ‘Single for the Summer’ lead to breakups because of not thinking of the other person.

‘Ex to See’ is about a girl trying to make her ex jealous. She gets called out on it, but the guy enjoys it and goes along with the game. After a breakup, that’s all anyone wants to do is to make the other person regret their decision to leave.

‘Make You Miss Me’ is the reverse, in this song he recognizes he is about to be broken-up with and vows to prove why leaving him would be a mistake.

All the things these songs speak of are what everyone goes through at some point in their life, making them all the more relatable.

While I’m not a fan of the pop influence throughout the album, I applaud Hunt for producing an album that our generation can relate to. He comfortably stands apart from the rest of the country crowd with his style.

Hunt introduced us all to his signature style of mixing singing with rapping in his tracks, case and point: ‘Take Your Time’. He sings about things that happen in his own life, making his music easy to relate to. With his album finally out, Hunt’s rise to fame will no doubt only accelerate from here.