Slightly Stoopid

Slightly Stoopid performs at the Georgia Theatre in Athens, Ga. on April 26, 2013. Photo by Jonah Allen

If there is one thing that Slightly Stoopid does not lack, it is stage presence.

The California native brought its reggae hybrid sound to the Theatre on Friday night and had the crowd captivated for the entire hour and 15 minutes it performed.

While some of the musical talent did not seem to transfer from its eight studio albums to the live performance, Slightly Stoopid did present a very cohesive reggae sound, with a small mix of jam and punk rock.

Slightly Stoopid offered Athens a solid collection of fan favorites, playing hits such as “Closer to the Sun,” “Collie Man,” and “No Cocaine.” The band even threw in a cover of Charles Wright & the Watts 103 Street Rhythm Band's eponymous classic, "Express Yourself."

What set Friday’s show apart from other spring concerts was the band’s interaction with the crowd. The tickets were sold out, but the show still had a feeling of intimacy created by the band’s outgoing personality on stage.

Lead guitarist and vocalist, Miles Doughty had the fans raising their hands in the air, raising their lighters in the air, saying '"hello" to a sick friend of the band on the phone, and even chanting “shimmy shimmy ya” by the Ol' Dirty Bastard.

As has become a trend at the Georgia Theatre this spring, the crowd was audible from across the street and started a Braves chop right before the encore, proving Slightly Stoopid’s ability to please time and time again.

The opening act, Tribal Seeds, shared the stage with Slightly Stoopid for its encore. They will continue to tour together for the next few weeks, making stops in Nashville, Tenn., Winston-Salem, N.C., and numerous other musical hot spots in the Southeast.

Having now toured on its last album for nearly eight months, Slightly Stoopid will likely continue playing its warm weather music live throughout the summer. As the band continues to play a driving force in the reggae movement that was once driven by classics like Sublime, it would be no surprise to see Slightly Stoopid continue its success with a ninth studio album in the near future.