After I went through Panhellenic recruitment and received a bid, my friends and family were very uncomfortable with the possibility that pledging might involve hazing.

My mom went through sorority recruitment back in the 1980s, and ended up joining a local, non-Panhellenic sorority. She told me stories about getting up in the middle of the night and to drive the older sister around in order to prepare me for what I might encounter.

"If anyone wants you to do anything you do not want to do, you can walk out and quit anytime you like," she said.

When I walked into my first pledge meeting I was told up front that the older members were not allowed to haze us at all. More importantly, once I finished pledging I was expected to abide by our anti-hazing policy in regard to future pledge classes.

Panhellenic — or at least my sorority — has been very strict about their no tolerance policy when it comes to hazing. At times it has been so strict that even jokes about hazing are met with warnings or punishment. 

With Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. now facing allegations of hazing, it only adds fuel to the fire that is stereotyping. 

Fraternities and sororities across the Greek spectrum are for groups of people with similar ideas that can work on philanthropic activities and have a good time together. Unfortunately, there often is more limelight on the bad then the good, such as the “Animal House”-esque parties or brutal hazing. What is also unfortunate is that more often than not, people seem to assume all students that are Greek-affiliated fit this cookie cutter stereotype that, in actuality, describes very few individuals.

However, I believe that if certain practices are eliminated — such as hazing — we, as Greeks, can more easily highlight the more positive aspects of Greek affiliation. I'm not saying partying is wrong, but Greek organizations accomplish so much that it is a shame these things go unnoticed in favor of the party-centric reputation.

And really, what are the benefits of hazing? People get hurt and humiliated. And for what? So they get to join a group of people who are supposedly becoming their friends?

Marena Galluccio is a sophomore from St. Marys majoring in history, English and pre-journalism